Thursday, June 16, 2011

Pisang Bollen from Bandung and a trip to Pittsburgh

Pisang-Molen4


Last month, my friend posted in Facebook that she was about to enjoy her pisang Bollen and that make me thought of my hometown, Bandung. I remembered my friends always asked me to buy some pisang bollens every time I went home.
Pisang bollen is a must to buy bakery when you visit Bandung. The famous pisang molen is sold by Kartika Sari bakery store. This place has been selling traditional and authentic Bandung bakeries for years. Even now whenever I go home to Bandung, I always have to visit Kartika Sari bakery.
So what should I do whenever I crave for some taste of pisang bollen? Browsed the net! Fortunately, the easy and quick recipe for this bakery is available online.

Pisang-Molen2

Recipe for Pisang Bollen,
Source : Riefna Kitchen

Ingredients:

1 box of puff pastry
2 bananas (cut each length wise and cut again into 3 parts)
Condense milk to soak the bananas
sugar
Cheddar block
egg yolk

Directions:

Heat the oven to 375 F and grease/line your baking pan with parchment paper. First, soaked the cut bananas in the condense milk then set aside. Beat the egg yolk lightly. This egg yolk will be used as egg wash.
Make sure you thaw your puff pastry before using. Cut the puff pastry into square (10 cm x 10 cm). Sprinkle it with a little bit of sugar, arrange 2 pcs of bananas and 1 pc of cheese in the center and fold the pastry into a envelope shape. Sprinkle another round of sugar on top of the folded pastry and arranged them in the baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes then take them out, coat them with the egg wash and continued baking for another 10 minutes.

Enjoy them with warm tea.

Pisang-Molen1


Spring and Summer are the perfect time to do experiments baking and to travel. This time, we travel to Pittsburgh, PA. Pittsburgh is about two hours away from our city. We have a special connection to this city just because we used to live there for a year.

Pittsburgh


we went to see the Cathedral of Learning,

Cathedral-of-learning1


we visited a few frozen yogurt places. This is one of mine and Amanda's favorite places,

mandainpitt


we wanted to visit my husband's previous workplace but did not because of this warning,

chatamcollege


we visited the library and played chess,

chesstime


and we walked around Pittsburgh's neighborhood.

pittsburgh1

for more information about Pittsburgh, click Visit Pittsburgh.

2 comments:

haiku said...

as i have said in every comment i have made, i love your pictures! i don't even know which picture i would choose to talk about since i love them all! your trip looks like it was very fun and peaceful =)

My Life, My Child and My Food said...

Thanks so much for your kind words.
The trip was fun and relaxing for us..